Friday, July 8, 2011

Experiencing Normal things for a change

You know after all this is over I need to write a book; it will entitled something like Not Your Parent’s Marriage: How to Survive a Young Marriage in a Divorcing World. (It most definitely has to have a colon).  I don’t know, just, I am so proud of us, we are working through all this in stride and learning more and more about each other every day.  Yes we have been together 8 years but still so much goes unnoticed until things like the tornado happen.  I guess in a way we are lucky, people can go their whole lives married to someone and not see who they truly are or what they are capable of in times of crisis.
Ok so random thoughts on paper, check.  Now what’s going on with us?  We have a Post office box which is nice, no more standing in line for an hour to check our mail each week.  I have become obsessed with coupons.  I quit my job.  We are still waiting on Bobby’s truck to get fixed, and we are finally starting to get to experience normal things like baby showers, haircuts, going to the movies. 
What...oh, quitting my job, yeh I figured you would catch that.  Yes I quit my job, come on you all knew it was coming, can you blame me. Ok well maybe not all of you knew it was coming but let’s just say that after re-examining my life this was not where I needed to be or wanted to be, or could even handle being.  I lasted so very long and I am proud of that, I am proud of what I accomplished there and I am proud of what I learned.  A great mentor once told me that everything is a learning experience.  Positive and Negatives.  Do not fret I am not suddenly unemployed, I was smart enough to wait it out until an opportunity arouse, and boy did it!  I am going to be truthful here I am leaving the world of full-time professional staff status (my friend pointed out I am still coping with this loss of status) and returning to the world of graduate student workmanship.   It’s a little different though, I get business cards, I get to work from home, I get to have an official title, and I get to be completely in charge of a very wonderful program on campus!  Its part-time, tuition paid, and even though techniquely I am taking a pay cut each month in my paycheck I am actually getting a pay raise because I don’t have to cover any of my tuition anymore.  Trying to find a couple thousand dollars each semester was really stripping that whole budget to bare bones. So, overall as Bobby and I figured, I am actually getting a pay raise of $300 a year (ha!).  I cried over this decision, I prayed over this decision, I asked all my friends, I even text one in Virginia because I decided that what her answer was going to be was the way I needed to go (kind of like the magic 8 ball).  It has been hard to add another change to my life but hey it’s worth it and in a month or two after I freak out about how little money we have in our checking account each month I think I will be ok. 
I know right now you are thinking wait! She is trying to buy a house, recover from tornado losses, and afford school.  Yeh I might be crazy but we are closing on a house July 15th we have been approved and we already budgeted the mortgage payment into our monthly bills.  I mean when you have been paying rent for over 8 years it’s not that hard. We were responsible adults and refused to buy a house for $200,000.  We have gotten some back from the insurance company to help buffer the cost of replacing a lot of stuff and the UA donation was a big help to cover all the additional cost.  FEMA, well FEMA isn’t much help but I figured after I sent them the condemned report a few weeks back and said their inspector who thought the house was safe should revisit training- well I doubt they took that very kindly (what…it was therapy…I rather enjoyed sending that fax).

No comments:

Post a Comment